Visiting your dentist regularly for dental check-ups is important because it helps in keeping your gums and teeth strong and healthy.
While performing a dental exam, your dentist will check if there is any occurrence of cavities and gum disease. Your dentist will also clean your teeth too. The exam is done by checking any abnormalities in your mouth, neck, or face. If you suspect any developing oral problem, visit a dentist near you for a dental exam.
During your dental cleaning, your Dentist in Palm Coast, FL, Dr.Trejos, will remove any tartar or plaque build-up in areas that are unreachable while brushing your teeth. Your teeth will be polished too.
Here is an overview of the benefits of regular dental exams and cleaning.
Benefits of Dental Exams
Our Palm Coast family dentist will detect any signs of tooth decay and any occurrence of cavities during your check-up. Plaque and tartar build-up is a sign of tooth decay and can cause gum disease.
While going for a dental exam, your dentist will not only check for cavities and tooth decay but will also spot other issues, including:
- Gum disease. Swollen, red, and tender gums are symptoms of gum disease that can destroy your jawbone. Gum disease/periodontal disease is mainly caused by poor oral hygiene. Gum disease leads to tooth decay and is a risk factor for lung and heart disease. According to statistics, 70 percent of the USA population will get it at some point in their lives, although it’s preventable. Visit a dentist near you for a check-up to prevent gum disease at its early stage.
- Oral cancer. A dentist diagnoses mouth cancer at the beginning of a dental routine check-up. Oral/mouth cancer can be caused by tobacco use, a weak immune system, and heavy alcohol use, among other factors. It occurs as a sore that doesn’t heal or as a lump or a red patch inside your mouth. Its treatment involves surgery. However, its survival rate is good if the disease is detected during the early stage.
- Multiple medical conditions. Your dentist will examine whether or not you have bad breath or halitosis. Halitosis is caused by various factors that include poor dental hygiene, lung problems, dry mouth, infections in your mouth, or diabetes. Go for a dental check-up and cleaning near you on a regular basis to prevent bad breath.
Benefits of Dental Cleanings
- Dental cleaning will leave your mouth feeling fresh by removing stains that dull and discolor your teeth. This is done by polishing and flossing between your teeth. You will be left with a brighter and whiter smile.
- A qualified dental practitioner will perform teeth cleaning by eliminating the accumulation of plaque and tartar that builds up despite brushing twice a day and flossing daily.
- Scaling is done by your dentist when plaque build-up beneath your gum line. Scaling is a special kind of dental cleaning that is done in case of gum disease.
- Professional cleanings help in preventing gum disease that leads to early tooth loss. It also prevents cavities giving you a fresh breath.
- It is easier for your dentist to discover early signs of fractures and broken fillings during professional dental cleaning.
- Getting your teeth cleaned regularly can help reduce your chances of getting cancer, lung infections, deadly heart attacks, and strokes.
- Dental professionals use special tools to eliminate plaque deposits that leave your mouth clean and ultra-fresh.
Get the dental care you deserve from Palm Coast Family Dentistry. Make an appointment today and enjoy high-quality dental services. It’s our greatest reward to see you smile. We look forward to keeping your smile brighter and healthier every day.
How to Take Full Advantage of the Benefits of Dental Exams and Cleanings
It is always important to follow a quality routine of the oral healthcare practice at home. The bacteria that strike your teeth can rapidly evolve even after having professional dental exams and cleanings. This is because bacteria are persistent.
To avoid this, your dentist will advise you to:
- Limit snacks by maintaining a healthy balanced diet
- Always brush your teeth twice a day with a toothpaste that contains fluoride
- Try taking less amount of alcohol, avoid smoking and other forms of tobacco use
- Be flossing daily
- Carry on with your regular dental exams and cleanings
- Use a mouth wash that contains fluoride